ExcelStrategy founder Lance Wolak is a business leader and startup advisor with 20 years of experience building and managing global brands, creating and launching innovative products and services, uncovering growth markets, and driving adoption of new technology.
Throughout his career, Lance has served in marketing and strategy leadership roles (VP, CMO, Director) in both startups and large companies. As a result he carries a unique perspective enabling him to develop plans, programs, and processes that can scale well as a business grows – having experienced what each growth phase of a business requires. He previously served as Vice President of marketing, product and strategy for the .ORG global domain name registry, widely regarded as the Internet’s home for social-good organizations and individuals.
Lance’s experience includes:
- Contracting as a CMO for domain name registries and registrars – reshaping their go-to market strategy, incubating digital products and services, driving brand recognition and sales in new/growth markets. Identifying critical KPIs and implementing improved reporting methods to measure business performance and growth.
- Leading the development and launch of 5 new top-level domain name registries – the strategic planning, market research, international focus groups, product development, business operation change management, and the successful launch.
- Developing and launching the digital marketing agency US1 Digital, promoting music entertainment districts and music artists. Developed the digital media platform, subscription-based microsites, brand-building social media services, domain and web hosting storefront.
- Delivering the largest increase of .ORG global domain name registrations, from 6 million to over 9 million, by mobilizing and motivating a sales channel of independent global retailers.
- Leading the management team implementing the Domain Name Security Extension (DNSSEC) across the .ORG domain name registry, at the time a 7 million domain name registry and the largest global domain registry to implement.
His education includes a Master in Management and Strategic Leadership from Michigan State University. He has also earned certificates in Collaborative Decision Modeling and Total Quality Management, and a Green Leadership Professional Certificate.
In his personal time, Lance enjoys recreational boating, live music events, and spending time with his family.